Thursday, January 7, 2010

Soup and Cornbread

It has been unusually cold here in Houston over the past few days and nothing tastes better in cold weather than a warm bowl of soup. My mom is out of town for a few days so we invited my dad over last night for some Chicken Enchilada Soup and homemade Cornbread. They were both AMAZING!!! I have never made cornbread before but it went over very well. It is actually a little bit funny because all my life I have loved my mom's cornbread. For those of you who know my mom, she does not cook much, so for me to covet one of her recipes is a rare thing. I decided to call her up and find out this awesome recipe of hers...only to find out that it is the recipe on the back of the Aunt Jamima corn meal box! Guess it wasn't a family recipes after all. It turned out very good though, I made both mini muffins and normal muffins and they were both really good. Between the three of us (Mark, my dad and me) we ate all of the mini ones! Here is one of the normal muffin ones...

The Chicken Enchilada came out amazing! I forgot to take a picture of it in the pot so instead you get to just imagine how good it was. This is one of my favorite recipes that I have tried since Mark and I got married because we both love it and it is rather healthy. The only draw back is that it takes a while but this can be avoided if you get a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store instead of boiling your own chicken. Other than that...it is so easy! Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

3 cooked shredded chicken breasts (or a mix of white and dark meat of your choice)

1 medium onion, chopped

4 cups chicken broth

1 cup premade queso (we used HEB brand)

1 can tomato sauce (8 oz)

1 tablespoon powdered enchilada sauce mix

1-4 teaspoons minced jalepeno (depends on how spicy you like things)

Directions

~Saute the onions in a soup pot until soft, add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes

~Add broth, queso, tomatoe sauce and enchilada sauce mix to pot and stir until combined

~Add jalepeno and simmer for 10 minutes

Store overnight and reheat the next day for the best flavor


I hardly ever eat soup the day I make it...same goes for my tomatoe sauce. If you let things sit overnight you will find a much deeper, richer flavor. Enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. sounds amazing...im going to try it one of these frigid days coming up.

    ReplyDelete