Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My Attempt at a Healthy Week

Healthy...That word is so objective these days. To some it means low carb, or low fat, or no sugar or full of veggies. Well, for Mark and I it means not over loaded with cheese or bacon and usually includes one vegetable. You see, although I love cooking and I love food, both of those phrases have their limitations. I love cooking, but, only things that I love to eat. I love food, but only things that fit into a very limited number of categories. I am an extremely picky eater. So, since the holidays are not too far off, I figured it was time to try out some healthy recipes so that when December rolls around, bigger pants won't be on Santa's wish list. I tried this recipe, with some modifications, from Cooking Light, and I must say, it was actually pretty good. Looking at the picture it looks quite monochromatic but it was very appealing in person. I added the garlic bread because this whole healthy idea is a gradual thing...no need to cut out everything I love. Oh, and have I mentioned I love garlic? Like almost to an unhealthy degree? There have been mornings I wake up with garlic breath because I ate so much the night before, but that is another blog for another day. So, here it is, the Parmesan Chicken and Rice recipe that was my attempt at being healthy...


Parmesan Chicken and Rice
Ingredients:
1 T Olive Oil
1/2 C Chopped Onion
1 t Minced Garlic
1/2 t Thyme
8 oz Sliced Mushrooms
2 Chicken Breasts, cut into bite size pieces
1/2 C Dry White Wine
1/2 t Salt
1/4 t Pepper
1 C uncooked Basmati Rice
1 3/4 cup Chicken Broth
1/2 C Grated Parmesan
1/4 C chopped fresh Parsley

Directions:
Pour rice and chicken broth into a pot. Bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes.
While the rice is cooking, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, thyme, and mushrooms; saute for 5 minutes or until the onion is tender. Add chicken and saute until chicken is browned. Add wine, salt and pepper; cook until the liquid almost all evaporates. Stir in the cooked rice and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the rice has soaked up the rest of the liquid. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan and parsley. ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You ~Ron

    ReplyDelete