Saturday, July 10, 2010

My Addiction to Mexican Food, Part 1

Mark and I both have an amazing love for Mexican food. Whether it is from a restaurant, a fast food place or a kitchen, there is a place in our hearts for all Mexican food. That being said, one of our goals is to eat at home more so that means we must get our Mexican food fix at home. I have done a pretty good job of recreating some of our favorite meals from restaurants and the following recipe is one of my greatest accomplishments in this area...Mexican Rice! I am very picky about what kind of rices I like but this one is just so darn good. Please try it, and then make some extra because it is really good as left overs too.


Mexican Rice
(sorry, no photo yet)

Ingredients:
1 T Olive Oil
½ red onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 t cumin
1 t chili powder
1 t oregano
1 t salt
1 t pepper
1 cup rice
1 t chicken bouillon
2 cups water
½ cup corn

Directions:
In a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Add in spices and mix in rice.
Add in water and chicken bouillon. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
Fluff with a fork and stir in corn.


Note: I highly suggest buying good quality spices. I like Penzy's spices but I realize that not everyone lives in Houston. They do have a website though and honestly...they are totally worth the extra price. Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment